Reduce the rate of serious injuries by 20% to 2.35 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled by 2025
Serious injury and fatality trends continue to be mixed as rates in the county continue to fluctuate, though the rate is still significantly lower as compared to the 2017 statewide fatality rate of 0.93 and national rate of 1.16 per 100 Million Vehicle Miles Traveled (MVMT). Baseline is the 2013-2017 five year average.
- Conduct data analyses to identify locations for speed enforcement and traffic calming (road diets, speed limit reduction, etc).
- Conduct aggressive/speed enforcement in conjunction with statewide and national campaigns, as well as in school zones and communities
- Compile planned infrastructure safety projects and review prioritization based on data analyses.
- Conduct occupant protection enforcement in conjunction with statewide and national campaigns.
- Implement the Howard County Strategic Road Safety Plan.
Source: Office of Transportation